Prof. Marion Mutugi is the Vice Chancellor of Amref International University; a premier pan-African University specialised in training, research and extension activities in health. She holds a PhD from the University of Edinburgh, Scotland and is widely published in her area of medical genetics and more recently bioethics.
Prof Mutugi is a renowned research scientist with over 25 years’ experience in various public and private research institutions and universities. She previously served as Deputy Vice at the University of Kabianga and prior to that, worked at the Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology (JKUAT) as the Director, Institute of Tropical Medicine and Infectious Diseases (ITROMID). In this latter position, she oversaw postgraduate training in Public Health, Clinical Medicine, Tropical Medicine, Epidemiology and Molecular medicine.
She is an accomplished trainer through whose hands many biomedical and health professionals in the region have passed.
- Animal and human drug efficacy
- Prevention and control of HIV
- Socio-demographic characteristics of Cancer
- Sexual and gender based violence.
- Public health and public policy
RESEARCH & PUBLICATIONS:
- Support for young women affected by gender based violence. STROMME foundation
- Care and Support: Scaling up ART Use and Adherence. Columbia University
- Capacity building for forensics in respect to Sexual violence. OSIEA
- Genetic Profiling of Sex Offenders. JKUAT
- Marion Mutugi, Isaac Lenaola (2018) Bioethics of Medical Advances and Genetic Manipulation: Legal, Philosophical and Moral Perspectives, Longhorn
- Njoki Wainaina, Alfred Makabira, Phil Otieno, Simon Kamunyu, Marion Mutugi, Udi Kamau and Muriu Njoroge, Francis Bulimo, John Gacheru, Patrick Mwangi and Miriam Too, In Greig, Alan with Edström, Jerker (Ed) (2012) Mobilizing Men in Practice: Challenging sexual and gender-based violence in institutional settings, ©Institute of Development Studies, Brighton: IDS. ISBN: 978 1 78118 043 3 2.
- Mutugi W. (editor) JKUAT HIV and AIDS Policy 2006 3.
- MutugiW. 2006.“THIS TOO WILL PASS” HIV AND AIDS-The 21 st Century Scourge. ISBN 9966-923-43-8, Swift and Noble, Nairobi
- Doris Kathambi, Gladys Ndegwa, Alice Wahome, Marion Mutugi, Rosemary Ng’ondu, Consolata Kahary, Lucy Njuguna and Frossie Mutiso (2004) Report of the 1st National Women Conference on HIV/AIDS, Kenya. Ministry of Health, Health & Fitness.
- Were; J B O, Mutugi; M W, and Githure; J I (1993) (editors) Recent advances in medical research, with a symposium on HIV/AIDS, diarrhea, leprosy/mycobacteria : proceedings of the Annual Medical Scientific Conference : Kenya Medical Research Institute.; Kenya Trypanosomiasis Research Institute.13th conference, February 3-7, 1992, Nairobi, Kenya.
- Were; J B O, Mutugi; M W, and Githure; J I (1992) (editors) Recent advances in medical research, with a symposium on the rational use of drugs : proceedings of the Annual Medical Scientific Conference, Kenya Medical Research Institute.; Kenya Trypanosomiasis Research Institute. Volume Nairobi 13 Part One, May 1992
Chapters in Books
- Dennis G Magu, Marion Mutugi, L Ndahi and Peter Wanzala 2013 Chapter 6 Association between substance abuse and sexual risky behaviors among students in Kenyan Universities in Education and Counseling in Schools in Africa. P 69-90 Edited by Maurice Nyamanga Amutabi. Research, the Catholic University of Eastern Africa (CUEA), Nairobi, Kenya © Maurice N. Amutabi (Ed), ISBN978-996-015-66-2 2.
- Mutugi, M.W., Mugo, R. and Simba, J 2006 “Re-Enforcing Behavior Change. The JKUAT experience” Revitalising Science and Technology Training Institutions in Africa. The Way Forward. 1 st African Regional Conference of Vice Chancellors, Provosts and Deans of Science,Engineering and Technology UNESCO Nairobi.
- Mutugi, M. W. 2005 “Technology Today-The Church’s Challenge”, On Responsible Leadership in Church and Society Mugambi. Ed. Program for Ethics in Eastern Africa, ISBN 9966-888-06- 3 Acton Publishers, Nairobi, Kenya.
- Mutugi, M. W. 2005 “HIV/AIDS, TB and Malaria” in Cultural, Gender and Socioeconomic Issues Step-by-Step Guide. A Toolkit for Better Health ReportingInternational Women’s Media Foundation training workbook “Writing for Our Lives”
- Mutugi, M.W. 2004 “The Self-Help-Group: Ideal Vehicle for Gender Education in Science and Technology.” In Gender Inequalities In Kenya.”Colin Creighton and Felicia Yieke Eds. UNESCO Paris, France.
- Mutugi, M. W., Ries, R., Mudenge, D. and Van de Bossche P (1996) The Use of Enzyme Linked Immunosorbent Assays (ELISAs) for Trypanosomosis Surveys and Surveillance in Antigen ELISA for trypanosomes. Evaluation of performance edited by Subash Morzaria, Rachel Masake, John Rowlands and Tony Musoke proceedings of workshop held at ILRI Nairobi, Kenya 9-12 December 1996 ILRI (aka ILCA and ILRAD), Technology & Engineering pp 87-94 7.
- Dolan, R. B., Alushula, H., Munga, L., Mutugi, M., Mwendia, C., Okech, G., Sayer, P. D., Stevenson, P. G. W., Baker, R. L. and Magadi, M. (1993) The Orma Boran-Ten Years of Field Observations Biology of trypanotolerance in Towards Increased Use of Trypanotolerance: Current Research and Future Directions J. Rowlands, Alan J. Teale, International Livestock Centre for Africa, International Laboratory for Research on Animal Diseases ISBN 92-9055-298-0 PP 71-80
- Juma BW, Waiyaki PG, Bulimo WD, Wurapa EK, MutugiMW, Kariuki, S (2014) Molecular detection of enterotoxigenic Escherichia coli surface antigens from patients in Machakos District Hospital, Kenya East and Central Africa Medical Journal 2014; 1(2): 62-68
- Osoro AA, Ng’ang’a Z, MutugiM and Wanzala P (2014) Maternal Mortality among Women Seeking Health Care Services in Kisii Level 5 Hospital American Journal of Public Health Research, 2, (5), 182-187
- Maingi D, MutugiM, Wanzala P, Mutai J and Mwaniki P (2014) Determinants of persistent sputum smear positivity after intensive phase chemotherapy among patients with Tuberculosis at Rhodes chest clinic, Nairobi, Kenya. Health 6, 2026-2034
- Adam Kevin, MarionMutugi, Wanzala P (2014) Knowledge and attitude of women on the available PMTCT services at the antenatal clinic of the Coast Province General Hospital. Pan African Medical Journal 18:4
- Marion Mutugi(2013) Honoris Causa Journal of Agriculture Science and Technology (2014) Vol 15(1); 1-3
- Marete, I.K Mutugi, M. Lagat, Z. Obala, J Mwangi, A and Esamai, E (2014) Malaria Parasitemia among Febrile Children Infected with Human Immunodeficiency Virus in the Context of Prophylactic Cotrimoxazole as Standard of Care: A Cross – Sectional Survey in Western KenyaEast African Medical Journal. 91 :21-28
- A. Osoro, Z. Ng’ang’a, M. MutugiAnd P. Wanzala (2013) Determinants Of Maternal Mortality Among Women Of Reproductive Age Attending Kisii General Hospital, Kisii Central District, Kenya (January 2009- June 2010) East African Medical Journal Vol. 90 No. 11;p 181- 189
- Njonge, F. K., Mutugi, M., Kareru, P. G., Githigia, S. M., Waihenya, R. and Nyakundi, W. O. (2013) Assessment of herbal anthelmintics used by the farmers in Kirinyaga county, for the treatment of helminthiasis in cattle Afri Journal of Phar and Pharmacology 7(29): 2100-2105,
- Marete, I.K., Osiemo-Lagat, Z., Simba, J.M., Obala, A.1, Murithi, G.M., Chumba, J.C., and Mutugi, M. (2013) Utilization of Laboratory Services In Management Of Febrile Children at a Referral Hospital in Kenya: A Clinicians’ View Kenya Journal of Health Sciences 2:14-17
- Magu D, Wanzala P, MutugiM, Ndahi L, Gathara D. (2013) Sexual risky behaviors and condom use among students in Kenyan Universities. Adv Trop Med and Pub Hlth Intl 2013; 3(1): 5 – 9.
- Auma, A.C., Bukusi, E.A., Mutugi, M. and Waiyaki, M.P. (2012). Lifestyle, behaviour, customs, toilet and vaignal hygiene practices contributory factors in bacterial vaginosis: a case of Nairobi, Kenya. East African Journal of Pure and Applied Science 2 (1); 24-31
- Dennis Magu, Marion Mutugi, Peter Wanzala, Lucy Ndahi (2012) Sexual risky behaviours among the youth in Kenya. doi: 10.5455/medscience.2012.01.8019 Med-Science.; 1(3): 177-187
- Magu D , Wanzala P , MutugiM, Ndahi L (2012) substance abuse and condom use among students in Kenyan Universities. Journal of Medicine and Medical sciences. http://www.intersorg/jmms
- MutugiW. (2012) GMOs Efficacy, Safety and Profit Bio Technology : An Indian Journal Vol. 6, Issue 7
- Nyamu J, MutugiM, Mbugua G. (2012 )An Exploratory Survey of HIV Knowledge Versus Practice of Female Sex Workers in Kenya African Journal of Health Science 23:232-237
- Nicholas N Njau, Peter Wanzala, Marion Mutugi, Liana Ariza and Jorg Heukelbach (2012) Tungiasis (jigger infestation) in Rural Kenya, an emerging infectious disease Retrovirology, 9(Suppl 1), P37
- Prof MarionMutugi (2011) GM Maize: What Kenyans Deserve to Know Biotechnology In Kenya Part I Science Africa 17:7
- Njuguna H; Onchiri F; MutugiM; Bukusi E; and Craig C (2011) Herpes simplex virus type 2 seroprevalence, HIV and Antiretroviral therapy knowledge and beliefs in the general population in Kisumu, Kenya. Journal of AIDS and HIV Research . 4(1), pp. 17-25
- Mutugi, M.W. Kanga’ra, L. W., M’mene A., and Ndahi, L.W., (2011). HIV Status Disclosure and Adherence among Patients Attending Jomo Kenyatta University CCC Journal of Agriculture Science and Technology, 13 (2) 49-64
- Mutugi, M. (2011) The New Constitutional Dispensation; Opportunities for Lecturers Journal of Agriculture Science and Technology 13 (2) 1-2
- Mutugi, M.W and. Maingi, S.G. (2010) Disasters in Kenya:-A Major Public Health Concern Journal of Public Health and Epidemiology (3) 2 pp28-42
- Mutugi, M.W, Kaguu, L.M and Maangi, S. N. (2010) Efficacy and challenges of adherence to anti retroviral therapy: Experience from Nyeri provincial hospital, Kenya. International Journal of Medicine and Medical Sciences Vol. 2(2), pp. 024-028
- Njau, N., Wanzala, P., Mutugi, M., Ariza, L. and Heukelbach, J. (2010) Tungiasis (jigger flea infestation) in Rural Kenya: prevalence and risk factors 10. Kongress für Infektionskrankheiten und Tropenmedizin (KIT 2010) June 2, 201 Deutsche Gesellschaft für Infektiologie, Deutsche AIDS-Gesellschaft, Deutsche Gesellschaft für Tropenmedizin und Internationale Gesundheit, Paul-Ehrlich-Gesellschaft für Chemotherapie 23.06. – 26.06.2010, Köln
- Kamau, U and Mutugi, M. W. (2007). New Approaches to Reproductive Health Peer Training at JKUAT. Journal of Agriculture, Science and Technology Vol.9(1) 2007, 1
- Muchiri, E. and Mutugi, M. (2006) Improving Disease Surveillance Through Training The network for Surveillance of Pneumococcal Disease in the East African Region Newsletter Vol. 10 OCTOBER 2007 netspear.org/training.php